July 5, 2013
| Times Jobs
Lessons from My First Job: Manu Arora, Nucleus Software, Vice President, Head â€“ HR
Manu Arora, Vice President, Head- Human Resources, Nucleus Software shares his first job experience with TimesJobs.com
Neha Verma, TimesJobs.com Bureau
- My First Job: With Tata Consultancy Services as an Human Resources Executive. With respect to my first international assignment, I worked as a Regional Manager (HR) in New York and was responsible for Human Resources operations and strategy in the region.
- My Experience: I was lucky to be playing different roles regularly throughout my career so far – something that, I believe helps one build a well-rounded career by providing opportunities in parts of the function and business. I have also had the opportunity to work in international geographies. This has taught me to deliver results according to the different cultures. In my career span, I have worked in industries that range from technology to telecom and now, BFSI. These opportunities helped me create a globally diverse viewpoint; working on human capital topics for varied expert career streams across various markets globally. I have developed a good insight in the true value of leadership as one of the most critical (and yet unfortunately the least invested) competencies for any organisation.
- My Journey So Far: I have had the opportunity to wear numerous hats of responsibilities across the HR spectrum – in HR operations, resource management, talent acquisition, and performance management, HR technology, business HR, HR OD and consulting. A diverse experience in the HR ecosystem across international boundaries in business, regional and global roles has helped me gain different perspectives to global business environments.
- Turning Point in my Career: Being selected for the first HR business partner role in my previous organisation. This was an eye opening experience to an absolutely critical dimension of HR having a direct impact on business. Personally, it was both an opportunity and a challenge which took me directly from a transactional world to the center table of the business vertical I was partnering; to understand the core of the business line, its nuances, requirements and needs from an enablement perspective.
- Skills I Acquired: Leadership, strategic analytics, human capital management, project management
- My Manager’s Teaching: There is nothing one cannot do.
- My most crucial step: My first international assignment gave me the true perspective and appreciation of the potential impact the Human Resources function can and should have in contributing towards business success and growth. Diverse responsibilities are the best recipe for testing ones abilities and give you a clear understanding of the need for bridging the competence gaps which one must overcome for a sustained ability to contribute to business. The stint was a great enabler for me and helped me reaching where I am today.
- My Advice: Never hold on to the past and always question the now.
- Where I see myself 5 years from here:
Enhancing the footprint of process excellence in the HR world has always been a passion and I hope to be connected to the efforts in years to come.